Sunday, October 2, 2011

Two Birds of a Feather

Attended Jono and Ching's wedding yesterday. To sum it all up: perfect weather, beautiful bride, proud parents, awesome food, friends and family, great party - it was absolutely lovely! :) Weddings always make me all mushy inside..and make me really happy for the next couple of days.

This is only the fourth wedding I've been to in my life and I must say, one of the moments that I really look forward to at weddings is the the moment when the groom sets eyes on the bride for the first time in her wedding gown, as she makes her way to the altar. People always look at the bride and then never take their eyes of her after that because she's so beautiful, but I always try to catch the expression on the groom's face when he sees her. I think that expression of 'Wow.' and anything after that totally defines the moment and is worth catching!

I also look forward to the vows, because I'm always hoping to hear something original, written from the heart to each other. But so far, all the vows I've heard have been to repeat the same "...for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health..." passage, after the Pastor. Perhaps it's a Methodist thing. If given the choice, I think I would definitely like to come up with my own.

And then comes the exchanging of rings and The kiss. If anything, I think THIS is when things should NEVER be rushed. It's just my opinion, but I think there shouldn't be 2 millisecond pecks which would be over before they even started. Of course, I'm also not suggesting the new husband and wife get into a 5 minute awkwardturtle lip-lock session, I'm just saying they should both take this time to enjoy the moment and savour it as much as they can. After all, (Christian) weddings only happen once. And 2 out of the 4 weddings I've been to, the groom was too shy/paiseh to kiss his wife on the lips and kissed her on the cheek instead! Whattttt, no way Jose! I think alot of this has to do with our Asian/Chinese culture, where PDA is pretty much non-existent, especially among the older folk. Sure, it's weird to kiss your partner in front of a crowd, even weirder in front of your (and his/her) parents, but it's another defining moment and should definitely be enjoyed!

Oh, oh! Not forgetting, I love speeches! I think they add to the memorability and meaningfulness of the wedding. Whether or not it's a speech that the husband gives to profess his love for his wife, or a speech from the maid of honour/best man, or a speech from the parents to the pair or vice versa, it reflects the joy and happiness of the moment, gratitude, thanksgiving and unforgettable times. More often than not, these speeches are the things that bring up the emotions and tears and fishing around for tissues, not only for the couple and parents, but also the guests! I love speeches because they always tell me more about the couple, and makes me see how both the husband and wife were made for each other.

Last but not least, photos, music and food are a given, they make weddings that much more enjoyable. Especially if your guests are fans of all three. Like me.

So to conclude, yes, I am in awe as well of how much I have written despite meaning to only have a few sentences when I first started out with this post. Yes, I love weddings, and yes, they make me happy. :)
Now I just have to figure out how to answer this question that seems to be coming round more and more often everytime I go to a wedding: "So, when's your turn?"

No comments: